Monday, June 30, 2014

Yes I sell SEX TOYS says Bisi Ibidapo Obe a Nigerian Actress.




Star Actress, Bisi Ibidapo Obe, is not a greenhorn in the movie industry. With about 20 years in the make belief world, she has etched her foot prints in the sands of the Yoruba sector of Nollywood. Ibidapo spoke with The Entertainer on her career, sex toys business and other issues.

Excerpts:

How would you describe yourself?

I am Bisi Ibidapo Obe, aka Bisi Omologbalogba. I am an actress with about 20 years experience. I am from Ilesha, Osun State.

How did you come into the movie industry?

I loved acting right from my secondary school days. I was inspired by the late Bimpe Adekola aka Ireti. Though my dad wanted me to go to the university, my love for acting was very strong. In my quest to be an actress, I met an actor popularly called Araosan, who gave me the link to the Odunfa Caucus where I met Taiwo Hassan Ogogo, Yinka Quadri, Abbey Lanre and others. I told Ogogo my mission and he asked me to pay the sum of N350 for registration which I did; today, the rest is history.

After your training, which was the first film you appeared in?

That was Edunjobi, a Yinka Quadri film in which the late Bimpe Adekola played a double role; I acted in the court scene.

A waka pass role?

Yes, but I became popular with the film Ojo Ibi, produced byYemisi Jaiyeola, while Bisi Omologbalogba shot me into the limelight. My first production was Oyinade which was followed by Omojesu and Ijeunagba.

Why haven’t you been prominent in most films released lately?

I have been selective for a very long time. Even when it comes to my own productions, I take my time so as not to do a bad film. I don’t just accept any script because my career is very important to me.

Have you really made money from acting?

We thank God, at least, I can take care of myself.

What has been the highest and lowest fees you have ever charged in the course of your career?

I cannot really say which was the highest and which was the lowest fees I have charged because the Yoruba film industry is communal in nature and we are like one family. But one thing I don’t like about the communal thing is that some of my colleagues and producers capitalise on the nature of our industry to pay actors peanuts. But just the same, it’s still a good and viable industry.

Did your parents discourage or support your acting career?

My dad was very bitter. He even threatened to disown me but my mum supported me. I will always be grateful to the late Bimpe Adekola, who took it upon herself to speak to my dad, who later agreed to my choice of career. Today, my father is proud of me and I have no regrets taking to acting.

What are the challenges of being an actress?

First and foremost, let me talk about the film industry. The industry has become an all-comers affair unlike when we started out those days and we had caucuses. In those groups we underwent training. For example, during my days at Odunfa, I trained for about three years before I could play a waka pass role. But nowadays, everybody you come across has turned producer. As for the challenges, I thank God for making me an actress and I can boast that all that I have is through acting and there are no regrets whatsoever. But the only disadvantage is that we don’t enjoy our privacy and we are the target of journalists and others. However I have no regrets.

From your experience, would you say there is sexual harassment in the movie industry?

I don’t believe in sexual harassment. People talk about the movie industry because we are in your faces. Do you know what happens in the universities and hospitals? Do you know what happens among doctors and nurses? If you date your boss it’s no big deal as long as it’s a mutual thing. But as for me, I have never experienced sexual harassment.

Is it true that actresses’ marriages don’t last?

Like I said earlier, because we are in your faces, our marriages are reported whenever there is problem. If a woman walks out of a marriage, you don’t need to blame her because she might be having life threatening issues. So, it’s better for people to look inwards and investigate before concluding that actresses don’t make good wives. I’m yet to get married; I don’t know how matrimony feels like. For me, I will take my time before going into it and I pray God to give me the bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh.

How soon are you getting married?

I want to get married but when is what I don’t know. For me, God’s time is the best.

Who is your kind of man?

My prayer is let God choose for me from anywhere. It could be from the movie industry or anywhere else because I don’t want to go into marriage and get out of it within a short period. I want my man to take me as Bisi and not Omologbalogba, the actress.

Do you have crush on any Nigerian star?

No, it could sound funny but it’s the truth. I love R. Kelly and my friends know that I buy his CDs.

Why did you diversify into boutique business?

Since I don’t go to location all the time I need other businesses that will bring some cash for me to make ends meet. For your information, this is not the only business I do; I am also into supply among other things. The reason for going into boutique business was because I discovered that those living around Magodo travel far and wide to buy pants, bras and other things and this culminated in my decision to locate this kind of a store here.

Why did you include sex toys?

I did not open a sex toyshop. I sell men and women under wears and a few other things. I also have a section for body massage, body polish and other things that are related to that. On the issue of sex toys, I have this to say, if I sell sex toys so what? Nigerians are a bunch of hypocrites. They make issues out of non-issues. When I travelled to London I saw some newly wedded couples buying sex toys but back here, Nigerians believe that those that buy sex toys are harlots. In fact, there is dignity in the use of sex toys.

Do people patronize you?

I am not into the sales of only sex toys but there is a big market for them.

Is selling sex toys based on your personal experience or your friend’s?

No.

Is it true that Nigerian men are not romantic and that is why women buy sex toys?

I don’t know anything about that. But I do know that most of those who buy sex toys are couples. I have seen quite a number of couples walk in to buy these sex toys here.

Where do you see Bisi Ibidapo-Obe in the next 10 years?

Nice place by God’s grace. I am moving higher and higher; as long as there’s, life there’s hope.

There is the belief that most actresses, especially those using flashy cars do some runs aside acting. How true is this?

You don’t expect us to burn our candles at both ends. We get money from what we do which is acting. Ibiti eniyan ba ti nse lo ti nje (You eat from the labour of your hands).

Any plan for your own production soon?

Yes, and that would be very soon

She said!

No comments:

Post a Comment